Print Bookmark


» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 66» Next»     » Slide Show

Henry Gubler's fall

“H. W. Gubler Victim of Serious Accident,” Washington County News, March 17, 1921
“H. W. Gubler of LaVerkin fell off a 35-foot cliff near Lytle’s Spring last Saturday night [March 12] and sustained fractures of both legs below the knees.”
“Mr. Gubler and his son Ovando had been out to what is known as the LaVerkin Pasture, near Short Creek, Arizona, taking up some fencing as they had abandoned the pasture. They were returning home and intended camping for the night at Lytle’s spring. It was raining and the night was very dark, making it difficult to see the road or tell their whereabouts. Mr. Gubler thought they were somewhere near the spring and concluded to investigate and find the road to it. He left Ovando and mounted on one of the horses examined the road ahead. Finding he could not see very well from the back of the horse, his dismounted and proceeded afoot, leading the horse.”
“He had gone some distance when he suddenly stepped over the edge of the cliff, landing a distance of 35 feet below in an upright condition and fracturing both legs so badly that the bones protruded through the skin. The reins of the led horse slipped from his hand when he fell, the horse jerking his head back, and this probably accounted for his erect position when he landed.”
“This was about 10 o’clock on Saturday night. He called to his son, but distance prevented Ovando hearing him, and it was not until Ovando became alarmed at the long absence of his father that he went in search of him. He finally heard his father call and the boy went to the top of the cliff and heard from his father what had happened.”
“Ovando found difficulty in getting down the cliff in the dark but got to his father and proceeded to do what he could to help him. Mr. Gubler was wet through and cold, and was suffering intensely with his injured limbs. An oil prospector’s tent was discovered nearby, so the boy made a rough sled with a couple of poles and hitching a horse to it dragged his father to the tent, built a fire and made him as comfortable as possible and then left him to obtain assistance.”
“He rode about six miles to the homestead of William Ruesch, Jr., at Antelope Springs, where a boy was sent to Hurricane to obtain medical help while Ovando and Mr. Ruesch went and stayed with Mr. Gubler.”
“The boy arrived at Hurricane about 6 a.m. Sunday, Dr. Baker and Ferro Lemmon leaving for the injured man immediately on learning of his condition. Dr. Baker treated Mr. Gubler’s injuries and the party left for Hurricane, arriving there about 6 p.m. Sunday and left the same night for St. George where Mr. Gubler was placed in the hospital for treatment.”
“Mr. Gubler is doing as well as can be expected considering his severe experience, and hopes are entertained that he will recover without loss of limb.”

Owner/SourceWashington County News
Linked toGUBLER Henry Wickley

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 66» Next»     » Slide Show